Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Camp Day 3 People of the Big River 2017

July 11, 2017
Camp Day 3

Brook providing wetland restoration
Tom Walker, Fish Biologist




Sock tree
This morning started early 6:30am, didn’t want to get up it was a cold night. We were off to Soda Lake to do some restoration work in the creek. We took out some old fencing that had collapsed during this winters snow. Although we were in the hot sun the stream waters cooled us off when needed. Tom Walker; Fish Biologist shared his job duties and his career path as to how he got to his position. We discussed invasive species and staking native fish in the rivers that are used for recreational gaming. Of course there are pros and cons to every thing so it was hard to choose weather or not we agree with removal of non native fish and or stalking fish in the water ways. I don’t know but what I have realized is that out reach through public education will led to the best impact in allowing public use in these national forest areas. For the second half of the day we went to North Twin Lake and meet Katie and Chase, both on trail crew detail. We used hard hats, gloves, lopper, hand saws and a polasky to clear brush what was over grown on the trail walk way. Again it was hot but we got to end our outing with a fresh shower. I am thankful for this day and having the opportunity to meet the National Forestry employees that we did. It feels good to help out our environment. I miss my family; I haven’t been able to get a hold of them to let them know I’m thinking about them. This is my last day here at our camp site I seen lots of cool insects and plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment